“Coming to Terms with Race” Class
Led by Rev. Andrew Packman
If you plan to participate in the online class that Rev. Andrew Packman is teaching this summer, please register today !
Classes will be held from 7:30-8:45pm on June 25, July 2, July 9, and July 16.
After registering, Zoom will automatically send you a link for the class meeting. Open to all, so please invite others to be part of this!
Every week Andrew will cover a different topic related to race – there will be some history, some theology, some psychology and sociology. We hope you can join us for all 4 sessions, but also know that we plan to record each class and make it available to the BLC community for viewing/listening afterwards.
If you have any problems registering for the class, please be in touch with Pastor Sarah or Deacon Heather.
Waking Up White All-Church Read
Join us in reading Waking up White: Finding Myself in the Story of Race by Debby Irving. Pastor Sarah encourages existing small groups to read this book together, and we are open to forming additional discussion groups this summer based on interest. Please let her know if you’d like to be part of a group that meets a few times this summer (groups may meet either online or outside with social distancing in place). Email Pastor Sarah at Pastor_Sarah@bethlehemluth.org
Resources for Learning About Racism and Anti-Racism Efforts
Read the ELCA’s Statement on Race HERE
- Waking Up White: And Finding Myself in the Story of Race by Debby Irving
- I’m Still Here by Austin Channing Brown
- The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
- Stamped from the beginning: the definitive history of racist ideas in America by Ibram X. Kendi
- The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness by Michelle Alexander
- Talking to Children about Racial Bias
- Unpacking White Privilege in the Church – a Living Lutheran article from January 2020
Videos and TV:
- Brief youtube video (4 minutes) that helpfully introduces the concepts of systemic racism and implicit bias
- Ibram X. Kendi’s recent talk on CBS This Morning on how to raise anti-racist kids
- Just Mercy (streaming free on digital platforms for the month of June)
- Dear White People (Netflix)
- 13th (Netflix)
- Selma (available to rent on digital platforms)
- Dream Big, Little One by Vashti Harrison
- Chocolate Me! by Taye Diggs
- Counting on Community by Innosanto Nagara
- God’s Dream by Desmond Tutu
- Not My Idea: A Book About Whiteness by Anastasia Higginbotham
- Something Happened In Our Town: A Child’s Story About Racial Injustice by Marianne Celano
- Each Kindness by Jacqueline Woodson
- The Youngest Marcher by Cynthia Levinson
- We Are the Change: Words of Inspiration from Civil Rights Leaders by Harry Belafonte
- Moses: When Harriet Tubman led her people to freedom
- Little Leaders: Bold Women in Black History by Vashti Harrison
Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You by Ibram X. Kendi
- We Rise, We Resist, We Raise Our Voices by Ed. Wade Hudson and Cheryl Hudson