Present: Judy Hanson, Craig Collins, Greg Andrews, Rob Blount, Chad Carlson, Pete Elza, Michelle Kovar, Cheryl Martines, John Volkening, Pastor Sarah Rohde

Present: Judy Hanson, Craig Collins, Greg Andrews, Rob Blount, Chad Carlson, Pete Elza, Michelle Kovar, Cheryl Martines, John Volkening, Pastor Sarah Rohde

Absent:

Staff: Deacon Heather Feltman, Pastor Paisley Le Roy

Meeting called to order at: 06:35 PM

Meeting closed at: 08:00 PM

Council Reporter:

Open Forum:

Discussion: 

 

Follow-up Items:

 

Agenda Item #1:  Approve Minutes and Financial

Discussion:  None

Conclusion:

Action Taken:

  • None

  • Tabled

  • Vote

            Motion:  “Approve the Feb MInutes and January Financial Report”

            Made By:  Chad

            Second:  Pete

            Result: Passed

Follow-up Items:

 

Agenda Item #2: Live Steam Update

Discussion: 

Pete reported that the steaming team has had two meetings with different providers. One is a full digital and another mixed digital/analog solution. Two more meetings scheduled (Thursday and following meeting.)

The team has also held additional conversations about what Live Streaming means for worship and how the new Musical Director position will be impacted by streaming.

PS: The team is also looking to visit other churches that have implemented Live Streaming and review both the physical implementation as well how it looks to the internet.

DH: As we are planning for visits, it would be good to ask questions such as “How has live streaming affected your mission.”

DH anticipates that the team will have more information by the May meeting.

A question was asked about what equipment was involved in the proposal. The proposals would include screens, video equipment, audio equipment, and supporting equipment. Also there was discussion about where the equipment would be placed. The preferred plan would be to place the equipment in the Choir loft, but would want to ensure that it does not impact the groups that currently utilize the loft.

A question was asked how many proposals are being submitted. 4 total proposals are being presented.

A question was asked how the long the equipment would be expected to last. Yes, that support is being considered, along with warranty, training, and software update.

Conclusion:

Action Taken:

  • None

  • Tabled

  • Vote

            Motion:

            Made By:  

            Second:

            Result:

Follow-up Items:

 

Agenda Item #3:  Roof/Mechanical Update

Discussion: 

Deacon Heather provided an update on the Roof and Mechanical.

The building team met on Monday with two Roof manufacturers. GAF, who manufacture shingles, and EcoStar a synthetic roofing material. Synthetic slate roofing is 70% recycled material. The team is recommending that we request a proposal with synthetic slate roofing. The primary factors in this decision is that it is more durable and requires no ventilation. A major issue with our current roof is the ability to properly ventilate the roof. Synthetic roof has a 50 year warranty, longer than traditional shingles. It also has a higher hail rating. DH called our insurance company and going with synthetic will result in a lower insurance cost.

The manufacturer of the synthetic offered a 10% discount if we allowed to publicize our use of their material. In addition, based on the size of the project, the manufacturer may be willing to sell directly to the church to lower the cost. Synthetic roofing will also require snow guards over the door entries.  For the first 10 years the warranty covers 100% materials and labor and then prorated from that.

Ecostart will provide references of other churches that have installed synthetic slate material.

Roofing installation would probably take about a month, but the manufacture of the materials would probably take longer.

When would a decision need to be made if we wanted to have the roof installed by winter?. The roof would need to be November 1st.

Mechanical update:

The team will get together next Tuesday to review the updated quotes on the Mechanical. Heather stated that one of the bidders has been more transparent and open during the process. Expectations are that a recommendation can be made by the end of the month.

The total process will take 9-10 weeks. Ideal installation time would be mid-September through end of October due to the ideal outdoor temperatures.

Plan is to send out a letter to the congregation towards the end of March to give an update and provide additional details of the plans and timelines.

A question was raised about whether we should postpone the May Congregational meeting to allow for more time to plan to bring the proposals to the congregation.

Discussion was held around how to best approach the finance the needs and whether we should be fundraising or if we should borrow the money to fund the project.

Heather wanted to recognize Jesus for the work he has done to ensure the maintenance and repair schedule is adhered to. The work he has performed has resulted in an approximately $10K reduction in repair costs.

Discussion was held on how we can best communicate the needs to the congregation and whether we have enough time before the May congregational meeting. Additional discussion was held about how asking for money for these needs would impact BLC’s ability to fund other mission priorities.

Conscious was that we plan to hold the traditional May meeting with the intent to include updates on the roof and mechanical.  The intention is to present the plan through a series of forums in May and then ask the Congregation to vote at the May Congregational meeting.

An additional Council Meeting will be held on April 15th for discussion and planning for the Mechanical and Roofing.

Conclusion:

Action Taken:

  • None

  • Tabled

  • Vote

            Motion:

            Made By:

            Second:

            Result:

Follow-up Items:

 

Agenda Item #4:  Vision and Values Update

Discussion: 

PS: In her quarterly check-in with Judy & Craig, we wanted to make sure the sub groups are continuing to keep connected around the goals that were set by the teams. In some cases there may be specific asks of the teams.

The rostered leaders will also be providing quarterly updates of the goals to the congregation. This update will happen in mid-April.

Conclusion:

Action Taken:

  • None

  • Tabled

  • Vote

            Motion:

            Made By:  

            Second:

            Result:

Follow-up Items:

 

Agenda Item #5:  Worship Resiliency Team Update

Discussion: 

The WRT will meet on March 23rd. PS has shared the current guidelines from the Synod. In addition, PS has shared some reopening plans from other churches.

We will need to start planning for transition from pre-recorded services to outdoor services. We also want to be aware of disciples of the congregation who are unable to attend in person. How can we offer live (post-live) recordings to members who can’t be in person.

The summer will also be an opportunity to try some limited indoor options (such as small mid-week services). Will be monitoring the vaccine rollout as part of the thought process.

Will continue to respect the State recommendations for gatherings (currently limited to 50 people, both for indoor or outdoor gatherings.)

We have six baptisms, one funeral, two weddings, and one (Cantenara) to be scheduled as well.

The newcomers class has been completed, we will be welcoming them during an outdoor worship service. There were five families in the newcomers class. 

Some members of the congregation have started inquiring about when the church will reopen for indoor service. Others have communicated that they are not yet comfortable returning to church.

Conclusion:

Action Taken:

  • None

  • Tabled

  • Vote

            Motion:

            Made By:  

            Second:

            Result:

Follow-up Items:

 

Agenda Item #6:  Rostered Leaders Report

Discussion: 

Pastor Sarah communicated that the best date for the “New Normal” conversation will be April 26th @ 7:00PM.

Conclusion:

Action Taken:

  • None

  • Tabled

  • Vote

            Motion:

            Made By:  

            Second:

            Result:

Follow-up Items:

Agenda Item #7: Move to Executive Session

Discussion: 

Conclusion:

Action Taken:

  • None

  • Tabled

  • Vote

            Motion:  “Motion to move to Exec Session.”

            Made By:   Greg

            Second:  Chad

            Result:

Follow-up Items:

Agenda Item #7: Adjourn from Executive Session 

Discussion: 

Conclusion:

Action Taken:

  • None

  • Tabled

  • Vote

            Motion:  “Motion to adjourn from Exec Session”

            Made By:  

            Second:

            Result:

Follow-up Items:

Agenda Item #7: Adjourn Council Meeting

Discussion: 

Conclusion:

Action Taken:

  • None

  • Tabled

  • Vote

            Motion:  “Motion to adjourn”

            Made By:  Cheryl

            Second:  John

            Result:  Passed

Conclusion:

Action Taken:

  • None

  • Tabled

  • Vote

            Motion:  “Motion to move to Exec Session.”

            Made By:   Greg

            Second:  Chad

            Result:

Follow-up Items:

Agenda Item #7: Adjourn from Executive Session 

Discussion: 

Conclusion:

Action Taken:

  • None

  • Tabled

  • Vote

            Motion:  “Motion to adjourn from Exec Session”

            Made By:  

            Second:

            Result:

Follow-up Items:

Agenda Item #7: Adjourn Council Meeting

Discussion: 

Conclusion:

Action Taken:

  • None

  • Tabled

  • Vote

            Motion:  “Motion to adjourn”

            Made By:  Cheryl

            Second:  John

            Result:  Passed